Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Renata Tebaldi as Tosca: Vissi d'arte (lyrics and translation)

Watch and listen Renata Tebaldi as she sings Vissi d'arte, Tosca's aria from Giacomo Pucini's opera of the same name - Tosca. Comparing Renata Tebaldi and Maria Callas indeed is a dead end.

Different talents, different intellects, different voices. Both brilliant diamonds. So when I offer you
Maria Callas's Vissi d'arte I'm not inviting you to compare, no, I offer you different enjoyments and two great singers, real divas...



Dijo Tosacanini de ella: Questa voce me e piu bella...Per me e La Voce dun angelo Y, El Gran Maestro, no se equivovo. Esta- mos ante La Voz En Su Mas Puro Estado De Gracia; Pocas, pero muy pocas, Voces poseyeron Tanta Belleza en Su Mas Pura Genuinidad; Estoy hablando de una voz que tiene el Sonido Mas Puro Que se pueda tener para cantar. Es Una En Un Millon, Que se puedan encontrar, Voces, como Esta De Tebaldi, Y De Tanta Cali- dad.

Vissi d'arte (lyrics and translation)