Saturday, August 8, 2009

Un bel dì, vedremo (translation) by Maria Callas and Renta Tebaldi

Giacomo Puccini and His Madame Butterfly rendered by both Divas!!!, Maria Callas and Renata Tebaldi: Un Bel dì Vedremo

Role : Madame Butterfly, a Japanese girl alson known as Cio-Cio-San
Voice Part : soprano
Fach : lyric soprano|spinto
Setting : Butterfly's house
Synopsis : Three years have passed since Butterfly's American husband left her. Her servant Suzuki, tries to convince her that he isn't coming back, but Butterfly is convinced that he will. She sings of the day that he will return. She dreams of him sailing into the harbour and climbing up the hill to meet her

Renata Tebaldi:



Maria Callas:




Un bel dì, vedremo English Translation


One good day, we will see
Arising a strand of smoke
Over the far horizon on the sea
And then the ship appears
And then the ship is white
It enters into the port, it rumbles its salute
Do you see it? He is coming!
I don't go down to meet him, not I.
I stay upon the edge of the hill
And I wait a long time
but I do not grow weary of the long wait
A man, a little speck
Climbing the hill.
Who is it? Who is it?
And as he arrives
What will he say? What will he say?
He will call Butterfly from the distance
I without answering
Stay hidden
A little to tease him,
A little as to not die.
At the first meeting,
And then a little troubled
He will call, he will call
"Little one, dear wife
Blossom of orange"
The names he called me at his last coming.
All this will happen,
I promise you this
Hold back your fears -
I with secure faith wait for him.